Monday, October 5, 2009

How Hard Can It Be?

I've always been a DIY wanna-be.  I'd get great ideas for making something and would often act on it.  Unfortunately my talents and stick-to-it-iveness didn't quite match my aspirations.  Oh, there were successes along the way.  I made a kneeling mat for Sarah when she started preschool.  It was a cute patchwork top (the quilting desire started a LONG time ago) with some padding and was just the right size.  I used to make baby carriers and T-shirts.

And whenever Scott & I started a project together it would get finished.  That's because Scott is determined and has lots of stick-to-it-iveness.  When he would decide something was going to happen, it happened.  We built a carport and a nice deck at our city house.  We built one little deck and one big deck at the farm.  We laid a wood floor. We put up fences. And we built nine stalls - really nice ones, if I do say so myself. 

But all my other crafty and DIY stuff would get started and not finished - LOTS of it. The boys mats for preschool never got finished - I finally bought some for them.  I started jewelry, never finished.  I started scrapbooking, never finished. I started simple woodworking, never finished. You get the picture. Since I've started quilting I find I finish things.  What a great feeling and a great confidence booster. I now start lots of projects and finish them.

Not to change the subject, but we live pretty far from any walk-in welcome hair places.  There's a really nice lady in town that does a great job but I'm too impatient to make an appointment.  When I want a haircut I want it NOW.  Getting a haircut for me means giving up an afternoon when you figure the driving, the wait, the cut and the driving home. I've been really needing a haircut for a few weeks now and just haven't had the opportunity to get it done.

Getting impatient with my hair I played with pulling it up between my fingers like they do and pretending I had scissors in the other hand.  It seems I could do that all over my head and it wasn't too awkward.  I thought "I could really do this!  How hard could it be, really?!"  So with my new found confidence I grabbed the scissors and grabbed my hair and started.  AAAAKKKKKKKK.  What was I thinking?!  It really IS hard to cut your own short hair.  I still really need a haircut, but only in some places now.  Short haircuts have been permanently crossed off my DIY list.  Well, I may be able to cut someone else's short hair, just not my own.  Anyone want a haircut?

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I still have the pre-school mat. John & I were just looking at it the other day :)

Anonymous said...

I'll probably be needing a haircut just about the time I come in for a visit with the Morrissey's. I'll give you a call....

LCL

Kathleen said...

what a brave LCL!

Karen said...

Chuck cut his hair when I was in mexico with my dad 2 years ago. When he picked me up at the airport, I about wet myself. he thought he had done a really good job....and he sorta did...a really good job making a huge mess. Poor guy.....he was so proud of himself. BTW...I LOVED my baby carrier and used it til the kids were to big to fit into it.

Anonymous said...

oh you will have people lining up after sharing that hircut experience! I cut my hair between haircuts sometimes and it takes to long. I do an ok job. I'm lucky to have great hair that is easy to deal with. My trouble is wearing the same boring style year after year.Pat

rae said...

Ooh man! I have exactly the same problem. And I was actually considering cutting my own hair this week! You've convinced me to schedule an appointment; thank you!

Anonymous said...

mmmm......no. But no offense Kath! hahaha!! Deb