Thursday, August 4, 2011

Come As You Are - PPR Challenge #1

Challenge #1 – “Come As You Are”


The first challenge of this season's Project Runway had the designers creating an outfit using their pajames and a bed sheet. 
 
Modified for Project Project Runway the designers' rules from Just Crafty Enough:

"You can use either the clothes your model is currently wearing OR a 10″ x 10″ square of fabric similar to your own pajamas. On top of that, you can use a handkerchief worth of white cotton or cotton-ploy blend fabric. The standard woman’s handkerchief is 10″ x 10″. You can manipulate the fabric anyway you want with dye, fabric paint, etc… You can also add things like buttons, velcro, and trims."

Since my model was, at that time, wearing a layer of PlayDoh (trying to make a mold for a dress form....fail) I was glad we had the option of using our pajamas for inspiration!


my pajama top

 similiar fabric square and square of white cotton

I used colored pencils to draw a plaid design on the white cotton for the bodice.  It shows up better here on this discarded piece that it does on the dress.

The skirt of the dress is from the pajama design fabric.  The back closes with velcro. Embroidery floss creates the strap design and waist embellishment.




Heidi will say "It's ok. A bit boring. It could be shorter"
Michael... "Where is she going?"   My answer... "Sunday brunch at the shore with girlfriends"
Nina..."what is that mess in the back?"

There was a bit of a learning curve as I've made less than a dozen garments in my lifetime, and never clothes this small.  Darts, waist adjustments, hems.... yikes!  But it turned out okay.  I think I'll make it to the next round. 

Lizbeth, on the other hand, may not.  There was not full disclosure during the contract negotiations.  Turns out she is bald . . . . not that there's anything wrong with that . . . . but it kind of makes her one note in the styling department.  I feel bad with the tough current economic environment that she no longer has the Dollar Store opportunity so I'll keep her on.  She can help in the workroom, and she has expressed an interest in child development.... when the grandkids come she can try her hand at entertaining them.

This week I'll be making a trip to the model casting department. 
And I'm expecting delivery of the Pepperlove Accessory wall. 
(So excited!)

Can't wait to see what the next challenge is!

10 comments:

kat said...

Poor Lizbeth! Let me tell you closures are one of the hardest things doing these challenges.

Jeanne said...

Looks like fun! I remember sewing Barbie clothes and it still gives me nightmares. LOL Your dress is very pretty.

Tawny said...

Oh no! Bald! She didn't let my model cut her hair did she? heehe

I love the dress. That is so cool that you drew on the plaid design. I too had trouble with closures that made a bit of a mess in back.

Terrific job!

Jeanie said...

Great job, Kathleen! I love your "fake" plaid. Sorry your model has "issues". Mine is not happy with my miniature sewing skills, but has agreed to stick with me. (I guess I'm the best [only] job in town, so she's stuck with me.) I'm with you on this tiny garment sewing...everything that I knew from regular garment sewing was pretty worthless.
On to the next challenge!

Elisa Black said...

Kathleen, this whole post and the challenge just cracks me up. You did a great job. I'm so glad Lisbeth has an interest in child development and can apply her skills with your visiting grandchildren, since she just won't cut it in the modeling world being bald and all (although she could start a new trend, you never know!) I give you lots of credit for creating tiny doll-sized clothes! I love your comments from the judges. Looking forward to seeing the next PPR challenge!

shopgirl said...

Excellent work! I love the hand made plaid!

Jessica Hanley said...

Can I get an amen for some amazing stringwork? The shoulders are incredible.

Karen said...

LMAO & ROTFL!!!!!

Love this post. Love the comments. Poor Lizbeth. You made it work!

Col said...

Ditto Karen- Loved the post and comments. But wait the first posting of Lizbeth shows her with a stylish top ponytail wearing a LBD. Who sabbataged her?

Sarah said...

Hysterical! I think Lizbeth will be great in child development. I love the straps in the front & how you made your own plaid! Awesome. I also love the judges comments :) It sounds like them. I can't wait to see the Pepperlove Accessory wall. Also, I know Lizbeth might not be around long, but should could pull a Brittany & shave her head completely (although that problem won't help her future in child development). Can't wait to see the next challenge! :)