Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Iron Craft #1 - Lighting the Winter Gloom

Candle Holder with Bead Bunting

I knew almost right away that I wanted to use glass beads for this challenge but couldn't seem to get it to work. I'd try something and fail and start something with different materials. Repeat. Repeat. But I really like the way the light was reflected with the glass beads so I kept coming back to them.

I tried rubbing a glue stick on the candle holder and then rolled it in the glass in the beads.  This looked really neat because when the glue dried it gave a frosted look to the glass.  It was fine until I touched it.  Then, of course, duh, the beads fell off.  But until then it looked great.

Another thing I tried was ornament hooks to hang the bead rope but the hooks looked bad.

I thought of elastic around the top and was still trying to figure out how to attach the bunting as I searched for the elastic and couldn't find it.  (Gotta clean and organize the sewing room!)  But I found little girls hair bands in my rummaging.  AH HAH!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

simple, yet colorful and elegant...

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love it-- sooo cute-- and the pink is the best part!!!! we can be quite inventive when the need arises, can't we???
Hugs, di and miss gracie

Lori said...

I love the idea of beads on a votive. But yeah, other than hot gluing what else could you use that wouldnt melt. Of course you could always use one of those LED lights.