Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Battle Rages On

I think I won the latest skirmish.

First up, this nasty tangle of weeds.

The weeds are gone. 
But the daffodil leaves still need to come out,
more flowers need to go in,
and a border needs to be added.



The Johnny Jump-Ups are now relatively weed-free and happy.


Unfortunately, a recently planted Lily of the Valley was lost due to friendly fire.
And speaking of friendly fire, the toads better stop hanging out with the enemy or they aren't going to fare too well either.  I'm trying to watch out for them but it's hard to see them in the weeds!




The Petunias are flourishing!



The Pansies need work.  And they aren't helping.
They are holding their own but don't seem to be spreading out.


 I don't know what to do with these guys. They are right smack in the middle of a bunch of plants that I know are weeds that need to come out, but I don't know if these white flowered plants are weeds or not.  The long skinny leaves are the ones that go with the white flowers.
I
What do you think?
Are they a perennial that someone lovingly planted years ago?
  Or are they a weed cleverly masquerading as innocents?

So many of the flowers that bloom here survived because I procrastinated when it came to weeding.  The first happy weed-turned-flower incident was the group of Lilies in front of the house.  Imagine my surprise!
The Johnny Jump-Ups were another.

The Petunias another.
And most recently . . .
Common Sundrop Primrose surprised me yesterday. 
I had told Scott the day before that this mound of weeds was next to be eliminated but before I could get to it they bloomed!

All in all it was a good day in the garden yesterday. 
I know the weeds are even now gathering reinforcements so I can't wait too long before launching another attack.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are a woodland plant that is used as a perennial.Its a member of the trillium family... keep em...

Jeanie said...

I didn't know if it was a weed or not, but it sure is pretty.

I tackled the weeds last week end but many of them are back in full swing this week end. Once the heat sets in, they should slow down a bit. I just need to keep on top of them instead of letting them get out of control. Easier said than done.....

Don't work too hard out there!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Beautiful flowers!! Those petunias don't look like the petunias we have here ... they're much prettier than the petunias we can get here. And they are definitely flourishing!

I'll be curious to know what the white ones are. DD has some in her yard, but hers are purple. Still, white or purple, I think they're pretty.