Thursday, June 17, 2010

project QUILTING - RECYCLE! challenge

The rules we had to follow: 
1. The front, back, borders, binding and embellishments should all be made from materials that have had a previous life as something else.
2. You may use new thread and batting.
3. Your project should include at least 3 different materials used as embellishments.

I rummaged through closets and came up with an old police academy uniform shirt of Justin's, two shirts from my horse show days, and a blouse that would look great on me if I just lost 10 pounds.... I'm not waiting any longer for that to happen - if it does I'll buy a new blouse.



I decided on a hand sewing kit.  I've been sewing in the living room and my stuff gets spread all over the end table.... quite a disorganized mess.   I started by using the uniform shirt and the blouse to make simple blocks for the outside of the sewing kit.


For the inside I used the green cowboy shirt and the uniform shirt as the base.  I sewed little pockets in the stripes on the bottom right and on the bottom left I sewed covers for needles, both large and small.  I used the button placard from the white ratcatcher to make pockets for bobbins of thread by folding, pleating and sewing the bottom of the strip to the base.  A few stitches on either side of each pocket keeps it from falling.  A larger strip of fabric from the same shirt became larger pockets for floss.  To dress it all up I embroidered the name of each item to be stored in the kit.   Four buttons from another shirt were added to the inside as one embellishment material.

It's hard to see, but there are two pockets inside for patterns, projects or pieces of fabric.


To complete the embellishment requirement I added ribbon and beads from a gift bag to a couple blocks on the outside.


Finished size: 12" x 12"   
Here it is loaded and ready to sew....

This was another fun challenge.  Unlike the first two challenges, I only started one project and then finished it. It changed and developed as I went. 

If you are looking for a challenge, join us for the next one.  It starts Sunday at noon.... go to Kim's Crafty Apple for all the details.  You can also see the other entries and vote for the Recycle! challenge at Kim's Crafty Apple until 7:00 Friday evening.  And, even if you didn't participate in the challenge, you can still qualify for a prize. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, lookie there...and it's very functional and cute, too! I'm having fun watching the challenge results.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Very clever. Re-cycles are nice, you clean out your closet and get something new too! Nice job.